College history

 

 

 

History


Government College of Education is the premier secondary teachers training institute that has successfully completed sixty years of its existence. The college made a humble beginning in the year 1948 as teachers training college in a small building adjacent to the khalsa high school magarmal bagh.

It was in-fact the up-gradation of already existing teachers training school which used to offer two courses of B.T and D.T up to 1956. From 1956 the college started functioning independently and was shifted to the present campus. Those were the days when the literacy rate in the state was very low-less than ten percent. Women's education would carry a social stigma. It needed a lot of courage on the part of girls and their families to attend a modern educational institution, that too having co-education.

The number of Muslim female teachers doing B.Ed was not more than five in a batch of thirty to thirty five . The college has, right from its inception, been a hub of academic, socio-cultural and intellectual activities. Great luminaries like Dr. Abdul Kalam Azad,Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru, Dr. Radha krishnan, Sh.V.V.Giri, Sh.Vinoba Bhave, Dr. Zakir Hussian and some eminent teacher educators from United States, U.K, China, Australia and Sri Lanka have also visited the Institute and interacted with its students and staff. Great scholars like Mehjoor , Sardar jafri , Dena Nath Nadim and Gulzar have also visited the college. It may be amazing to know that a scholar and the then Chief Minister of Andhra, who later became the President of India, delivered a model lesson to the students of 9th class for the benefit of the pupil teachers . Certificates of merit of the students of college were signed by none other than the then Prime Minister of the state himself. The college has been administered by educationists of repute and quality training has been the hallmark of this great seat of learning.

A landmark achievement of the college was to introduce PG course in Education (M.Ed) in the year 2004, and thus became the first college of Education in the state to have a post graduate department. One of the finest moments in the history of this college was the visit of NAAC peer team in October, to assess and accredit this premier Teacher's Training Institute. The peer team placed on records appreciation for the commendable work that has being done by the college to achieve excellence in Teacher Education. The college was accredited with the prestigious grade "A". The peer team rated college faculty as one among the top ten colleges of the country. The college library was rated as the best among the Colleges of Education in the country. They also recommended that the college be given the status of an autonomous college. The college has the distinction of setting up women's studies centre that is funded by UGC. The college has very well organized publication wing that has, over the years, improved upon the publications qualitatively and quantitatively. The strongest feature of the college academics is the well planned, innovative and properly organized package of model micro and macro lessons. The faculty members have mastered these skills to the extent that even privately managed colleges seek guidance from them in their programs. The college is likely to introduce a few new courses in coming years. The courses will be initiated in collaboration with UGC, IGNOU and the University of Kashmir.
 

The Principals of the college :

  • G.A.Mukhtar
  • Aga Ashraf Ali
  • Sajida Zamir Ahmad
  • Begum Jalal-Ud-Din
  • L.K. Rambhal
  • M.A.Laherwal
  • Sufia Agha
  • Rajeshwari Matoo
  • R.A.Shah
  • Farida Thakur
  • Huma Bhat
  • Zubeda Afridi
  • S. Mahdi Hassan Rezvi
  • Prof. Fehmeeda Javid
  • Prof. Farhat Tasneem
  • Dr. Zeenat Ara
  • Prof. Mahmooda Nazki
  • Prof.(Dr.) Abdul Hamid Khan